Nestlé Corporate Business Principles are the basis of our company’s culture which has developed over the span of 140 years.
Since Henri Nestlé first discovered his baby cereal mix "Farine Lactée,” to help a mother save her sick baby which was unable to receive breast milk, we have built our business on the belief that to achieve long-term success for our shareholders, we must not only comply with all applicable legal requirements and ensure that our activities are all sustainable; we also must also create significant value for society.
In 2011, we launched a modular training program detailing various components of the Corporate Business Principles. The depth and focus of this training was established in accordance with the materiality for the different functions within the company. For example, training on human rights components focused on managers and employees in countries with a higher risk of human rights as a priority.
Nestlé Corporate Business Principles will continue to evolve and adapt to a changing world. Our basic foundation is unchanged from the time of the origins of our Company, and reflects the basic ideas of fairness, honesty, and a general concern for all people.
Nestlé is committed to adhering to the following Business Principles in all countries, taking into account local legal requirements, cultural and religious practices:
- Nutrition, Health and Wellness: Our main goal is to enhance the quality of the everyday lives of consumers, wherever they are, by offering a selection of tastier and healthier food and beverage products, as well as promoting a healthy lifestyle. We express this through our corporate motto: “Good Food, Good Life”.
- Quality Assurance and Product Safety: All over the world, the Nestlé name represents our promise to consumers a product is not only of the highest quality, but also safe for consumption.
- Consumer Communications: We are committed to responsible, reliable consumer communications that empower consumers to exercise their right to make informed choices, including the healthier diets we promote. We respect consumer privacy.
- Human Rights and our Business Activities: We fully support the United Nations Global Compact’s (UNGC) guiding principles on human rights and labor and aim to provide an example of good human rights’ and labor practices throughout our business activities
- Leadership and Personal Responsibility: Our success is based on our employees. We treat each other with respect and dignity and expect everyone to promote a sense of personal responsibility. We recruit competent and motivated people who respect our values, provide equal opportunities for their development and advancement, and protect their privacy. We do not tolerate any form of harassment or discrimination. For consumers all over the world, the Nestlé name holds the promise of safe and good quality products.
- Health and Safety at Work: We are committed to preventing accidents, injuries and illness related to work; we provide protection for all our employees, contractors and all others involved along our value chain.
- Suppliers and Customers Relationships: We require our all suppliers, agents, subcontractors and their employees to demonstrate honesty, integrity and fairness, and to adhere to our non-negotiable standards. In the same way, we are committed towards our own customers.
- Agricultural and Rural Development: We contribute to improvements in agricultural production, the social and economic status of farmers, rural communities and in production systems, to make them more environmentally sustainable.
- Environmental Sustainability: We commit ourselves to environmentally sustainable business practices. At all stages of the product life cycle we strive to use natural resources efficiently, favoring the use of sustainably-managed renewable resources, and target zero waste.
- Water: We are committed to the sustainable use of water and continuous improvement in water management. We recognize that the world faces a growing water challenge and responsible management of the world’s resources by all water users is an absolute necessity.